If you are one of the millions of people with arthritis, you know it can be a debilitating disease. Not only does it cause pain and inflammation in your joints, but it can also make everyday tasks very difficult. One of the most commonly affected joints is the thumb, which is why thumb braces are essential for treating arthritis. In this blog post, we will discuss the different types of thumb braces available on the market today and their benefits and drawbacks. We will also provide a buyer’s guide to help you choose the right brace for your needs.
Thumb braces are designed to provide support and stability to the thumb joint while relieving pain and inflammation.
Quick View of the Top Thumb Braces
We do in-depth user review analysis on what is liked and disliked on a product. We looked at the following when making our choices:
Reviews: Number of favorable reviews each product has.
Features: The amount of features that the product has to allow for a good experience.
Style: What style range does the product come with that makes it favorable.
What we look at
What are the different types of thumb braces?
There are various types of thumb braces available, each with its benefits and drawbacks. The most common type of thumb brace is the rigid splint, which offers the greatest support. However, these braces can be cumbersome and uncomfortable, especially for extended periods. Therefore, a removable splint may be a better option if you only need occasional support. These braces are much lighter and more comfortable to wear, but they do not provide as much support as a rigid splint.
What are the benefits of wearing a thumb brace?
There are many benefits to wearing a thumb brace, including:
- Relief from pain and inflammation
- Increased stability and support for the thumb joint
- Improved mobility and range of motion
- Reduced risk of further injury
What are the drawbacks of wearing a thumb brace?
There are also some potential drawbacks to wearing a thumb brace, including:
- Discomfort, particularly with rigid splints
- Decreased grip strength
- Reduced dexterity
- Potential skin irritation
How much do thumb braces cost?
The cost of a thumb brace will vary depending on the type of brace you choose. Rigid splints are typically more expensive than removable splints, but they will last longer and provide more support. You can expect to pay anywhere from $15-$45 for a good quality thumb brace.
1. Best Overall Thumb brace
The Vive thumb brace is one of the most popular braces on the market. It is a lightweight, breathable neoprene material and provides moderate support. This material is also latex-free. It is also comfortable to wear and can be easily removed when necessary.
The Vive thumb stabilizer uses two aluminum splints for the best support possible. The ergonomic design gives you great comfort all day, allowing you to wear this brace for more extended periods.
We like how this thumb support offers an adjustable compression wrist strap for better circulation. You can also rest easy with the Vive guarantee. They have a 60-day warranty.
- 𝗦𝗧𝗔𝗕𝗜𝗟𝗜𝗭𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗧𝗛𝗨𝗠𝗕 𝗦𝗨𝗣𝗣𝗢𝗥𝗧: Providing maximum support, the Vive thumb splint stabilizes the thumb to effectively relieve pain and reduce inflammation and swelling due to injury, arthritis and overuse. The open palm design allows full use of the fingers for completing everyday tasks while promoting healing of the thumb following sprains, fractures or soft tissue injuries.
- 𝗗𝗨𝗔𝗟 𝗔𝗟𝗨𝗠𝗜𝗡𝗨𝗠 𝗦𝗣𝗟𝗜𝗡𝗧𝗦: Immobilizing the thumb in a neutral position, the Vive thumb stabilizer features two integrated aluminum splints for optimal support. The supportive thumb splint is ideal for skier’s thumb, trigger thumb, scaphoid fractures and chronic pain.
- 𝗥𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗥𝗦𝗜𝗕𝗟𝗘 𝗙𝗜𝗧: Ergonomically designed for comfortable, all-day use, the open palm thumb brace is secured with two strong fastener straps with easy pull tabs that easily adjust to fit wrist sizes up to 8.66”. The thumb wrap is also reversible for stabilizing support of the thumb on either hand.
- 𝗟𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧𝗪𝗘𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧 𝗡𝗘𝗢𝗣𝗥𝗘𝗡𝗘: Perforated for breathability, the thumb splint is constructed with a latex-free neoprene blend that is lightweight for greater comfort. The splint also includes an adjustable compression wrist strap for increasing circulation and retaining therapeutic heat.
- 𝟲𝟬 𝗗𝗔𝗬 𝗚𝗨𝗔𝗥𝗔𝗡𝗧𝗘𝗘: 60 day guarantee so you can purchase now with confidence.
Lightweight neoprene blend
Excellent guarantee at 60 days
Easy-to-read LCD screen
Fits wrist size up to 9.45″
Realizes swelling and reduces inflammation due to arthritis or overuse
Some reviews complain about the brace being to hard to move
2. Runner up
The Mueller Sports Medicine thumb stabilizer is a lightweight, breathable mesh material and provides excellent support for its users. It is adjustable, so it can fit a range of different sizes and has a Velcro strap that goes around the wrist for added support.
This thumb stabilizer is excellent for people who have arthritis or other inflammatory conditions. It is also suitable for those with previous injuries to the thumb or wrist.
It is available in left- and right-handed models and can be worn on either the dominant or non-dominant hand. The three adjustable straps allow for a customized fit, and the padded palm area prevents chafing.
- INTENDED USE: Helps stabilize and support sore or injured thumbs while also helping to stabilize the thumb to help improve hand function and reduce pain. Aids in the treatment of painful conditions such as osteoarthritis.
- FIT: One size fits most. Can be worn on the right or left. Three adjustable straps, wraparound for easy on/off.
- TWO RIGID STAYS: One on each side of the thumb, limit movement and provide maximum support.
- FABRIC: Breathable mesh material provides comfort for all day wear. Fabric treated to prevent odor.
- TRUSTED BRAND: Mueller Sports Medicine has been a trusted leader in sports medicine for over 60 years and is committed to helping you reduce pain.
Great support for arthritis pain
Three adjustable straps for custom compression and fit
Some reviews say the brace is not comfortable
Stitching can be rough
3. Best Breathable fabric Thumb Stabilizer
The Dr. Welland Reversible Thumb and Wrist Stabilizer makes our list a top choice for a few reasons. For one, it helps to stabilize and support an injured thumb.
Second, it is easy to get on and off and is entirely adjustable and universal. Third, the ergonomic design allows for simply getting the brace on and off.
The 3D patented breathable fabric is comfortable and skin-friendly to wear all day. The two adjustable strap helps to get the best fit possible.
- 【Breathable Fabric】Adopting 3D patented breathable fabric, skin-friendly, soft touch, comfortable, lightweight, without perspiration and any restriction. Keeping your injured thumb dry and speed up recovery.Age:over 12 years old.
- 【Bendable Splint】Bendable splint can efficiently stabilize and support weak thumb while offering free movement of other digits. Recovering from injury and convenient for daily activities, texting, golf, cycling, gaming and play digital products like phone.
- 【Perfect Fit With Adjustable Strap】Two adjustable straps fit for customized compression. Equipped with firm and durable buckle, the thumb brace is versatile, useful and multifunctional. You are allowed to obtain customized fit and maximum stability.
- 【Thumb Pain Relief】It can stabilize and support your weak or injured thumb joint. Helping you to get relief from aching, sore, swelling caused by arthritis, ligament tears, sprained hand, tendinitis, repetitive stress injury, CMC, Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, and more!
- 【Easy to Use】It is universal and adjustable. Ergonomic design allows you to wear and take off it easily. It fits for both left and right hands. Really versatile and useful.We suggest that the thumb brace can be cleaned lightly by a brush or wet cloth in neutral detergent at a temperature under 30°C. Machine wash and handwash are forbidden. It cannot be dug into water for longer service time of glue.
Helps with pain associated with arthritis, ligament tears, sprains, and more
The splint bends offering more movement of other fingers
May not be great for small hands
Some users would prefer a more stiff brace as this one has movement
4. Best wrist kit with big monitor
The Vive Thumb Brace Small. A support brace is excellent for managing pain associated with sprains, strains, arthritis, carpal tunnel, and other stress injuries.
This removable splint helps to isolate the thumb, so it stays in a neutral position.
This versatile and lightweight design is fully adjustable and made from lightweight neoprene that is comfortable and breathable.
This brace is also ergonomically designed and uses aluminum splints to help mobilize the thumb but still give the other fingers the ability to move.
- Stable Support for the Thumb: Supporting the thumb joints and ligaments, the Vive small thumb brace restricts the movement of the thumb while supplying adjustable compression and retaining therapeutic heat to improve circulation and promote healing.
- Reduces Pain and Inflammation: Great support brace for managing arthritis, carpal tunnel, repetitive stress injury, post-surgery, sprains, and strains.
- Removable Splints for Flexible Use: Isolating the thumb in a neutral position, the brace includes two ergonomically designed aluminum splints for maximum support and immobilization of the thumb.
- Versatile Lightweight Design: Fully adjustable, the lightweight neoprene brace can be worn on either the left or right hand and is great for those with smaller hands. Three extra strength fastener straps adjust to accommodate any hand size without slipping or bunching.
- Vive Guarantee: 60-day unconditional guarantee so you can purchase now with confidence.
Great guarantee at 60 days
Great support for arthritis and other thumb injuries
Can we worn on either hand
Finger and thumb space is to wide
5. Best Wrist Brace with Thumb Spica Splint
For those looking for a longer brace that goes past the wrist, the VELPEAU wrist brace with thumb Spica splint might be a brace for you. This wrist brace is great for Carpal Tunnel Pain, Arthritis, Sprains, and Fracture forearm support.
The material is filled with a sponge but without latex material. This makes it breathable and lightweight, with a soft touch. In addition, we like the absorbent material that helps to keep the wrist both odorless and dry.
This particular model makes sleeping with the brace easier because of these properties. This brace uses two support bars that are flexible at the back side of the hand.
- 【Thumb & Wrist Pain Relief】VELPEAU Wrist Brace with Thumb Support applies uniform pressure on the wrist and first metacarpal joint, which provides ultimate pain relief from various ailments, including tendinitis, post-traumatic treatment of moderate to severe sprains, carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS), activated osteoarthritis or arthritis of the wrist, instability and functional overloading in the wrist, radial nerve palsy of hand, post-operative and post-removal of casting or splinting.
- 【Supports both thumb & Wrist】This Carpal Tunnel Brace with two soft thumb ties is made according to the physiological curve of the thumb, which can adjust the tightness freely and the flexibility is not affected when the thumb is stabilized. The spoon-shaped aluminum alloy palm and wrist support on the palm face has high strength support and can stabilize the wrist joint. Two flexible support bars on the back of the hand ensures even and uniform support, promoting greater stability and…
- 【More Suitable for Sleep】This Thumb Spica Wrist Splint is filled with sponge without latex material. It’s light and breathable, soft and skin-friendly, absorbent quickly and keeps the wrist dry and odorless, which will keep comfortable in continuous use and reduce the wrist pain without affecting your activities. The packaging is delicate and can be given as a gift to spouse, parents, relatives, and friends. The product is available in different sizes for both men and women.
- 【Adjustable & Easy to Wear】 Utilizes an adhesive belt design for safe and fast binding, offering adjustable tightness for excellent support. It helps alleviate wrist and thumb pain, improves blood circulation, and aids in the recovery process. The wrist brace is washable, reusable, and suitable for daily use.
- 【Note】Please double check that your selection is correct for your right or left hand and refer to the size chart for a proper fit.
Good refund policy
Good for sleep situations
Two flexible support bars
More expensive than others in its class
6. Best Short Thumb Stabilizer
The Trainers Choice thumb stabilizer is a good choice in a lightweight, breathable, and comfortable thumb stabilizer. This device is made with two rigid plastic stays and a Kinetic paneling for exceptional support on both the wrist and thumb.
It is made from latex-free material. This stabilizer can stretch to maintain its compression capabilities. You will love its lightweight and easy to use one size fits all thumb stabilizer that fits most people.
- THUMB STABILIZER: Recommended by Doctors, Trainers Choice Thumb Brace helps with sprains, strains, tendonitis, Skiers Thumb and DeQuervain’s Syndrome, tenosynovitis.
- EXPERT DESIGN: Expertise from the Canadian Trainers Choice Sports Medicine Complex and the client experience has been leveraged in the design of this thumb brace. The thumb spica splint features adjustable wrist compression strap, two rigid plastic stays and Kinetic Paneling which incorporates the benefits of kinesiology tape for maximum thumb and wrist support and pain relief.
- MADE FROM LATEX-FREE MATERIAL: Our Thumb Stabilizer is made with quality engineered Comfortex base material, specially designed with 4 way stretch material to maintain compression, reinforced stitching and perforated for breathability.
- VERSATILE: Use the Thumb Stabilizer on the go and whenever needed. While working, on your computer or phone, exercising and playing sports. Our thumb brace is comfortable, breathable and light weight.
- ONE SIZE FITS MOST: The universal sizing with adjustable strap, enables the One Size Fits Most feature. For proper fitting, view the fitting instruction video. Our unisex design works for Men & Women and can be used for both the Right or Left hand.
Two rigid plastic stays
One size fits most
Little more expensive then others
Velcro may not hold after a while
7. Best for Carpal Tunnel
The Thumb Spica Splint and Wrist Brace is an excellent choice for tenosynovitis, trigger thumb, or fractures. This brace is longer down the arm making it more stable using 3 straps.
Made with a breathable material you can wear this brace during exercising or daily use. This brace can be used for both men and woman and is a great tool to help brace and wrist and thumb.
- [THUMB BRACE with WRIST SPLINT] Both a thumb stabilizer to support thumb joint injuries, speed your healing process & soothe your painful thumb tendons & ligaments. Wrist brace for supporting & immobilizing wrist injuries, carpal tunnel, tendonitis or wrist arthritis – right and left hand options. 2 sizes see product images for wrist measurements
- [TWO REMOVEABLE SPLINTS] Great CMC thumb joint immobilizer to protect, guard and stabilize your sprained or broken thumb. Plus this brace has an adjustable wrist splint to stabilize your wrist & thumb all in one. Speed your recovery from a scaphoid fracture, trigger thumbs, de quervain’s tenosynovitis, carpal tunnel syndrome or sprain
- [COMFORTABLE & BREATHABLE THUMB SUPPORT] So comfy you can sleep with less hand pain. Makes a great night time brace for carpal tunnel nerve relief. Made with breathable materials so you can wear while playing sports or exercising for extra thumb protection and wrist support for men & womens hands
- [REDUCE THUMB ARTHRITIS & TENDIONIDIS PAIN] Comfortable compression for fast wrist pain relief from swelling and inflammation caused by rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and tendonitis. Boost your recovery and rehabilitation from falls, dequervains, RSI, overuse injury, strains or surgery
- [WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU] Every step of the way, our goal is your happiness & thumb pain relief. Make sure to see our full range of thumb, finger & carpal tunnel braces
Greater arm length
Great for thumb support
Great for carpal Tunnel support
May help reduces arthritis and tendinous pain
Fits most size wrist
May become loose or undone if you sleep with this brace
May feel uncomfortable at the palm
Top 5 Thumb Brace comparison chart
What to look for when purchasing a thumb brace
There are a few things you should look for when purchasing a thumb brace so you can make the best decision for your needs. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
First, you want to ensure that the brace is comfortable and will not chafe or cause discomfort. One of the main goals besides braces is that the thumb will be comfortable as you may need to wear this brace for extended periods.
You also want to ensure that the brace is breathable so that your skin can breathe and not become irritated. Having a material that is lightweight, comfortable, and provides breathability material, so your hand stays as cool as possible.
Finally, you want to ensure that the brace is adjustable to fit perfectly. This is important because you want to ensure that the brace stays in place, does not move around, and is tight enough to provide support.
Of course, you also want to ensure that the brace supports your thumb and wrist. This is the main reason you would be wearing a brace first, so you want to ensure it is doing its job. Keeping your thumb supported can help prevent further injury and relieve pain.
Range of Motion
You also want to ensure that the brace allows for a full range of motion so you can still do the things you love without any restrictions. Unfortunately, some braces are very restrictive and limit what you can do, so be sure to choose one that allows you to maintain a full range of motion.
How much do thumb braces cost?
The cost of a thumb brace will vary depending on the type of brace you choose. Rigid splints are typically more expensive than removable splints, but they will last longer and provide more support. You can expect to pay anywhere from $20-$100 for a good quality thumb brace.
FAQs on Thumb Braces
How long should you wear a thumb brace?
If you have arthritis, you might have to wear the brace all day for a few weeks, only taking it off to bathe or shower. If you have an injury, you may need to wear the brace only when doing an activity that causes pain. Once the mount starts doing its job and your paid subsides, you can begin to wear it less often.
How often should you replace a thumb brace?
If you wear your brace all the time, you may need to replace it every few months. On the other hand, if you only use it occasionally, it may last much longer.
Can you wash a thumb brace?
Yes, you can hand-wash most thumb braces with mild soap and water. Check the manufacturer’s instructions to see if your brace is machine-washable.
Can I sleep in my thumb brace?
You can, and sometimes when your doctor tells you to, you may have to sleep with your brace through the night. Other times you may want to take it off at night, so you can move your thumb and hand around while you sleep. This will help keep your range of motion from getting too limited. We highly suggest you speak to your doctor before making this decision.
What other ways can you treat arthritis in the thumb?
There are a few other ways to treat arthritis in your thumb. You can use over-the-counter medication to help relieve some of the pain and inflammation. You can also try ice or heat to help reduce swelling and pain.
You can also rest the thumb and modify your activities to help ease pain and inflammation. For example, if you are a knitter, consider using larger needles. Or, if you are a writer, try using a pen with a thicker grip.
Some exercises can help strengthen the muscles around the thumb joint and help to take some of the pressure off the joint. These exercises should be done under physical therapist or doctor supervision.
If you have tried these conservative measures and are still experiencing pain, you should talk to your doctor about others.
If you are suffering from thumb arthritis, there are a few different options for treatment. You can try over-the-counter pain medication, ice or heat, rest, and exercise. You can also try using a thumb brace. Talk to your doctor on what treatment might work best for you. The good news is that a few different options are available to you for treatment. Using a thumb brace when you have arthritis is a great way to help ease the pain and inflammation.