Will Medicare Pay For My Walker (Learn If You Qualify)

Walkers are extremely common mobility aids that help in the ability of millions of people within the United States to move without someone helping them.  Should you pay outright for a walker?  Will Medicare pay for my walker? and if so how do I go about doing this?  Don’t worry we will explain all of this and more below. 

Unlike some wheelchairs,  walkers are more of a lightweight and less expensive mobility product that helps people with balance, stability, and the ability to become more independent around there home and when out.   

So will medicate pay for my walker?

Typically, yes, Medicare will pay for walkers.  But there are catches.  You must meet eligibility requirements and medicare will usually reimburse you for the cost of the walker.

Are You Eligibility For Medicare to Pay?

There are requirements that must be met in order for Medicare to cover the costs of the walker.  They are the following: 

Your doctor must prescribe it:
It must be prescribed by a treating provider or by your doctor.

Medically necessary:
The walker or rollator must be medically necessary.

The supplier and the doctor must accept Medicate

What Other Types of Walkers Could be Covered by Medicare?

Does Medicate pay for walkers

When the medical device falls under the category of durable medical equipment or DME they may be covered by Medicare under part B, provided that certain qualifying conditions are also met.  It does not matter if you are purchasing or renting the walkers.

What are the three main types of walkers that are covered by Medicare?

Non-wheeled Standard Walker:
Non-wheeled standard walkers.  This is considered the walkers that have to be picked up and then put back down.

Two-wheel Walkers:
This walker has legs in the rear. 

Four-wheeled walkers or rollators:
Rollators are more for individuals that do not need to lean on the walker for balance. 

Will Knee Scooters be Covered?

In some instances, knee scooters will be covered.  They can be deemed a necessary DME for certain complications that happen from the new and below.  Meeting the criteria for a walker but for other reasons you are unable to use one a knee walker may be covered by Medicare. 

Knee walkers are another mobility tool that works well for someone that needs to take the weight off of one leg while still being able to provide mobility.

How Does Medicare Coverage of Walkers Work?

Walkers under the Original Medicare are covered under Medicare Part B because it is considered durable medical equipment.  Purchase your walker from a supplier that accepts this and Part B will pay 80 percent of the allowed cost for the Walker or durable medical equipment after he or she deductible is met. 

So you will be billed a 20 percent share of the Medicare-approved cost of the walker and you will be billed for the deductible only if you have not reached it for the year.

It should be known that Medicare will only cover walkers if you go through a supplier that is also in the Medicare program.  Before purchasing a Walker using Medicare it would be wise to check the supplier first to double-check if they are in the Medicare program.

Not using a DME supplier will result in a higher cost for the walker.  Point being makes sure the supplier participates in the Medicare program and will accept assignments.

Steps For Getting a Wheelchair Through Medicare

1. First, get with your doctor so he can proscribe you to a walker.
2. You will then have to see if you have met the annual deductible so you will know what you would need to pay for your walker.
3. You will need to make contact with a Medicare-enrolled DME supplier.
4. If you need prior authorization from your DME supplier ask them to submit a request.
5. There may be a change your request does not get approved. If this is the case worked with your doctor and the DME supplier to get any other information you may need.

Steps For Getting a Wheelchair Through Medicare
1. First, get with your doctor so he can proscribe you a walker.

2. You will then have to see if you have met the annual deductible so you will now what you would need to pay for your walker.

3. You will need to make contact with a Medicare-enrolled DME supplier.

4. If you need prior authorization from your DME supplier asks them to submit a request.

5. There may be a change your request does not get approved. If this is the case worked with your doctor and the DME supplier to get any other information you may need.

What other Medicare Coverage Options Are There For Walkers?

People can enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan in hopes to get similar benefits of Medicare.  When you talk about Medicate Advantage plans they will cover everything in the Medicare Original coverage.  The only thing that it does not cover would be that of hospice care.  This is because hospice will stay covered under Original Medicare.

It should be known that these types of plans are given through private insurance companies that have been Medicare-approved.

So the original question of what other Medicare Coverage Options are there for walkers?  Medicare Advantage plan will also cover durable medical equipment because it is covered in Original Medicare so it will be covered in Advantage plans as well.

Medicare PlanDescription
Medicare Part AThis plan covers hospitalization and during your hospital stay or while home if you need a wheelchair the facility will provide you with a wheelchair.
Medicare Part BWheelchairs, rollators, crutches, and canes are covered under part B. They are covered as durable medical equipment.
Medicare Part CThe Medicare Advantage or Medicare Part C are also required to cover the same types of benefits as both parts A and B. Wheelchairs are covered also under Medicare Part C
Medicare Part DThis is prescription drug coverage. Wheelchairs are not covered under this part of Medicare.
MedigapThese are add-on plans that help cover the costs of the portions that Medicare does not cover. These Medigap plans may pay for all or some of the expenses of a wheelchair.

Additional Questions

Question:  Our wheelchair ramps covered by Medicare?

Answer: No, Medicare Part B does not view a wheelchair ramp as durable medical equipment.  Even though a wheelchair ramp might be necessary medically.   It is considered by many to be a wheelchair accessory.  

Question:  Will Medicare cover my patient lift?

Answer:  Yes, Medicare defines and classifies a lift as a DME.  If your physician thinks that you could need a lift to get out of bed and into your wheelchair then Medicare part B can cover up to 80 percent of that expense.  And you would be responsible for paying the remaining 20 percent of the total cost. 

Question:  What would my out-of-pocket cost for a wheelchair be if I have Medicare?

Answer:  80 percent of the cost of a wheelchair if you have Medicare Part B after you have met your annual deductible.

Question:  What other mobility ads would Medicare pay for?

Answer:  Medicare Part B will take care of the cost of walkers, crutches, canes, and rollators up to 80 percent once you pay your deductible.  Then you would need to pay for 20 perfect of the mobility aid cost.

Bottom Line

Will Medicare Pay for my walker?  Yes, Medicare part B will cover 80 percent of the cost of a walker, wheelchair, cane, or rollators.  But you have to make sure you have met your deductible premium payments and pay for the remaining 20 percent of the cost. 

If you have conditions with your health that limit your mobility within your home or from taking care of yourself you need to get with your doctor and start the process of trying to get a wheelchair, walker, power scooter, or power wheelchair. 

Make sure you check with your doctor and your supplier of the medical equipment that they are both enrolled in Medicare before starting.

Please understand that is content is for informational purposes only and nothing on this website should be used as professional medical advice.  Always consult with your medical provider regarding any treatment or diagnosis for your health conditions.  This goes for ay specific exercise or dietary routine. 

5/5 (1 Review)
About ASmith

Adam Smith is the main researcher and contributor at Mobility Medical Supply. Adam has many years of research in public data, and software security. With Mobility issues within Adam's family, he decided to dedicate in-depth guides on mobility products to anyone looking to improve movement and gain independence.