Adhesive bandages are strips of material that are coated with a sticky substance. They are used to protect wounds and keep them clean. These types of bandages come in many sizes and shapes and can be made from other materials such as cloth, paper, or plastic. We rank the best adhesive bandages and when you should use them.
Some bandages have antiseptic agents impregnated in them to help prevent infection. Bandages are usually applied to clean, dry skin. They should be changed daily or even a few times a day if they become wet or dirty.
Adhesive bandages are not recommended for use on deep or large wounds or wounds that are draining pus or other fluids. If a wound is bleeding heavily, it should be covered with a clean cloth or gauze pad before an a bandage is applied.
Quick View of the Top Adhesive Bandages
Our Top Adhesive Bandages
- Best overall: Band-Aid Brand Sterile Flexible Fabric 100 ct
- Runner up: Care Science Antibacterial Adhesive Bandages
- Best Multiple Size: Band-Aid Adhesive Bandages
- Best large adhesive bandage: All health Antibacterial Sheer Adhesive Pad bandages
- Best large waterproof adhesive bandage: Houseables Waterproof Bandages
1. Best Overall Adhesive Bandages
What we like: We love you get 100 flexible fabric adhesive bandages for cuts and scraps in this pack. The price is also great.
What we don’t: Only one size so limited to the type of cut or scrap that can get covered.
Bandage count: 100
- 100-count Band-Aid Brand Sterile Flexible Fabric Adhesive Bandages for first aid and wound care protection of minor wounds, cuts, scrapes and burns. Adhesive bandages make a great addition to wound care supplies and first aid kits
- Made with Memory Weave fabric for comfort and flexibility, these first aid bandages stretch, bend, and flex with your skin as you move, and include a Quilt-Aid Comfort Pad designed to cushion & protect painful wounds which may help prevent reinjury
- These Band-Aid Brand Flexible Fabric adhesive bandages stay on for up to 24 hours and feature a unique Hurt-Free Pad that won’t stick to the wound as they wick away blood and fluids, allowing for gentle, pain-free removal
- From the doctor recommended bandage brand, Band-Aid Brand Sterile Fabric Adhesive Bandages help protect against dirt and germs that may cause infection for up to 24 hours. Plus, wounds covered with a bandage heal faster than uncovered wounds
- A great addition to a first aid kit, apply flexible fabric bandages to clean, dry skin for minor wound care & change daily, when wet or as needed. For proper wound care, treat with wound an antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin prior to application
2. Runner up
What we like: 200 count for an excellent price of assorted sizes that are both flexible and breathable.
What we don’t: No real large bandages in this pack.
Bandage count: 200
- USE. For use on minor cuts, scrapes, and burns
- HELPS PREVENT INFECTION. 4-sided seal helps to keep dirt & contaminants out
- FLEXIBLE & BREATHABLE PROTECTION. Pocket Pad Technology wicks away liquid from the wound
- INCLUDED SIZES. 80 (5/8 IN x 2 1/4 IN), 70 (3/4 IN x 3 IN), 50 (1 IN x 3 IN)
- DIRECTIONS. Apply bandage to clean, dry skin. Change the dressing daily, when wet, or more often if needed. Single use
- 80-count box of Band-Aid Brand Tru-Stay Sheer Strips Adhesive Bandages to help minor cuts and scrapes heal.
- These sterile bandages are sheer in appearance
- The Microvent backing of these sheer bandages provides superior breathability.
4. Best Extra Large Adhesive Bandages
What we like: Nice and large 3 x 4 in adhesive pads that cover a wide area.
What we don’t: May not hold around bendy places in the body.
Bandage count: 30
- Sheer first aid bandages are made of soft, flexible material for comfort
- Antibacterial bandage kills bacteria to help prevent infection
- Non-stick pad cushions and helps protect minor cuts, scrapes, and wounds
- Flexible bandage is designed to seal to skin on all four sides to help keep dirt and contaminants out
- Box includes 30 extra-large 3″ X 4″ Bandage pads
- STAY IN YOUR COMFORT ZONE: Our transparent film dressings have malleable qualities so that your patients are given the utmost comfort as they heal. Full range of motion is achievable with our film dressings.
- ABLE TO EXPOSE TO WATER: Houseables’ bandages are waterproof so that medical patients can easily go through their daily cleanliness routine without worrying about having to replace their coverings more often than is recommended.
- PROTECT YOU FROM HARM: This ten-pack of reliable wound coverings will ensure that no outside dust, water, dirt, or any other unclean external forces make their way to your injuries.
- SANITATION, ABOVE ALL ELSE: Our dressings will keep your wound on the path of healing with their ability to keep all unsanitary elements far from your injury. Hygiene is the most important factor when trying to nurse yourself or someone else back to health – and we know it.
- EASY BREEZY: Houseables’ transparent film dressings have the ability to not only protect a wound, but give it the air it requires to heal. Its breathable fabric assists a wound in speeding up the healing process.
Other Adhesive Bandages worth looking at
- HELPS PREVENT INFECTION – Each bandage contains an active antibacterial agent that helps kill germs and protects wounds from infection and other impurities. Each package contains 30 extra large sterile bandages, measuring 3 x 4 inches.
- BREATHABLE & FLEXIBLE MATERIAL – This soft, flexible fabric material provides excellent breathability that aids in the natural healing process. If you’re seeking for a high-quality product, these bandages are incomparable to any other product in the market. They’re finely woven cloth bandages that provide wound coverage while remaining adherent to your skin just enough to allow for easy removal.
- PROVIDES MAXIMUM PROTECTION – Each island pad has seals on all four sides to keep dirt and contaminants out. It is ideal for treating minor wounds and providing ample coverage for bruises, scrapes, and burns. To use: Apply bandage to clean, dry skin. Change the dressing daily, when wet, or more often if needed. Single use
- STERILE NON-STICK PAD – In addition to being breathable and flexible, these fabric bandages have non-stick pad cushions that softly cover any wound, preventing re-injuries when the bandage is replaced. Even for someone with delicate skin, it is a safe and excellent choice. The size of the non-stick pad is 2 x 3 inches
- TRUSTED QUALITY – Care Science Fabric Adhesive Bandages are designed and manufactured in the United States. Rest assured that we exclusively utilize approved components obtained from throughout the world. Our medical-grade adhesive bandages keep any skin type secure and safe.
- PROTECT ANY MINOR WOUND RIGHT ON THE SPOT: Cover any wounded part of your body with the most effective fabric adhesive bandages by Medpride that can secure the affected area from dirt and germs and wick away moisture helping it heal easier and faster. A great way to stop bleeding and prevent the contamination of torn skin, our flexible bandages are perfect for minor cuts, scrapes, burns, blisters and more!
- HYPOALLERGENIC ADHESIVE – LATEX & RUBBER FREE: Along with their breathable, lightweight and flexible quality, these fabric bandages are also latex and rubber free to cater to all different skin types. Plus, each bandage is coated with hypoallergenic adhesive, making it a safe and suitable choice even for the most sensitive skin. Comfortable, supportive and with a non-stick pad, our wound care bandages gently cushion any wound and prevent re-injuries.
- STERILE & INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED – READY TO USE ANYTIME: Individually wrapped to remain clean and hygienic until use, you can easily keep a couple of wound bandages always in your bag and be ready for anything the day may bring. Our soft bandages are also 100% sterile so you can use them with peace of mind for any type of wound– for you or your children.
- AVAILABLE IN 3 VARIATIONS – DISCREET TAN COLOR FOR EVERY DAY USE: Our first aid adhesive bandage packs are available in 3 different sizes to choose the one that best covers your needs. [100 Count – 3/4” x 3” | 100 Count – 1”x 3” | 50 Count – 2” x 4.5”]. Coming in a discreet tan color, our single-use bandages are great for shielding an array of different wounds, for kids and adults alike.
- ORDER WITH PEACE OF MIND: Medpride is your trusted supplier of effective, top quality medical products that you can count on to equip your personal or professional medical kit. Backed by a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee, you have every good reason to choose Medpride for all your personal care supplies!
- PROMOTES HEALING: MedVance bordered silicone dressings offer effective absorbency, are comfortable to use and provide the optimal environment to promote healing. The self adhesive multilayer structure helps create an optimum healing environment by keeping the wound moist and preventing contamination/activity.
- EASY TO APPLY AND REMOVE: Soft silicone adhesive acts as a wound contact layer that does not stick to the wound bed but stays intact to the skin thus prevents secondary damage and minimizes pain during dressing removal and change
- SEMI-PERMEABLE: Semi–permeable PU film acts a liquid barrier while allows the passage of oxygen and water vapor. The multilayer structure works together to create a high absorbent yet breathable surface keeping the wound moist and sterile.
- STERILE AND INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED: Each dressing is manufactured in a sterile facility and are individually wrapped to prevent contamination of wounds. Can be used in hospitals, senior care homes, hospice, and other medical facilities.
- MULTI-USE: Effective for applications such as post-operative wounds, bed sores, cysts, pressure ulcers, burns, and other minor traumas. Approved for Level II of the Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS). Use code A6212 for billing/claims.
Comparing Adhesive Bandages
What do you use adhesive bandages for?
Bandages are most commonly used to protect minor cuts and scrapes. However, they can also be used to hold gauze pads or other dressings in place or to secure splints. Bandages can also be used to cover blisters or other skin irritations.
How do you apply adhesive bandages?
Bandages are easy to apply. try and clean the area first with warm water and soap. Then pat dry the area completely. Next, simply remove the backing and press the bandage into place. Be sure to smooth out any air bubbles, as these can cause the bandage to come off prematurely.
How to remove bandages from your skin?
Bandages can be removed by gently pulling on one end of the bandage until it comes loose. If the bandage is stuck to your skin, you can soak it in luke warm water for a minute to help loosen the adhesive. Never rip a bandage off, as this can damage your skin. Here are the steps we suggest to fully get rid of the adhesive so dirt does not stick to it:
- Wed the adhesive with rubbing alcohol
- Try and take a clean cloth and gently start to rub the adhesive
- repeat the process until the adhesive is gone.
When should you NOT use adhesive bandages?
Bandages are not recommended for use on deep or large cuts or on burns. If you have a serious injury, it is best to seek medical attention rather than trying to treat it at home with an adhesive bandage.
Q: What are the best bandages for sensitive skin?
A: The best bandages for sensitive skin are those that are hypoallergenic and made from breathable materials. You should also look for bandages that are labeled “gentle” or “extra-strength.”
Q: How long do bandages last?
A: Bandages usually last for around 24 hours. However, this can vary depending on the type of bandage and the condition of your skin. If you have sensitive skin, you could find that your bandages only stay in place for a few hours before they need to be replaced.
Q: Do bandages need to be sterile?
A: Bandages do not need to be sterile, but they should be clean. If you are using a bandage to cover a wound, make sure that the wound is clean before you apply the bandage. You can clean minor cuts and scrapes with warm water and soap. Major wounds should be cleaned by a medical professional.
Q: Can adhesive bandages get wet?
A: Most of these bandages are not made to withstand getting wet. So we recommend taking them off before swimming or bathing. Water will cause the bandage to loosen and may cause it to fall off completely. If you need to keep your wound dry, you can cover it with a waterproof bandage.
Q: What is the difference between an adhesive bandage and a Band-Aid?
A: “Band-Aid” is a brand name for adhesive bandages. There are many different brands of adhesive bandages on the market, so be sure to shop around to find the ones that work best for you.
Adhesive bandages are a helpful tool to have in your first-aid kit. They can be used to treat minor cuts and scrapes, and they can also be used to hold gauze pads or other dressings in place. Be sure to choose the right type of bandage for your injury, and follow the instructions carefully to ensure that the bandage stays in place.